We had our second official Muraho Afurika/Hearts for Rwanda meeting on Saturday. About time, I think sarcastically. It is hard to put together a missions trip, especially one in which thirteen 20-somethings from all over Iowa (and Kansas City) try to meet up for a couple hours. Especially one in which I'm doing a lot of the logistical work. I'm not bragging or complaining. I have had a LOT of fun working on putting this together. It has been a labor of love like one I've not experienced yet, and I hope that I can do something like this when I need a full time job. However, Steven and I have been getting a little stressed lately. So many questions and details that need to be ironed out so soon. Who is going? Who is backing out? Who still needs to get us money? Is it too late to get this cancelled or this check cleared? What if this or that? How?
These questions usually use me as a rest stop. They pull in, take a dump, but they are gone pretty quickly. No biggie. Whatever happens is fine with me, because I know that God has provided for me and I know he will provide for those he wants on this trip. Selfish? Maybe. For Steven, however, these questions nestle into his chest and melt like a heap of unkosher fat on a hot day. He gets stressed and frustrated. I don't like that very much - to me it shows a lack of faith. But he also can use this part of him to get things done that I cannot. He isn't afraid to get one on one with someone and light a fire under their butt. I don't know if he just puts things in perspective for people or if he just frustrates them enough that they do what he wants to get him to stop irritating them, but it works. I'm thankful for that.
At noon on Saturday, eleven of the thirteen folks who will be leaving for Kigali in a month and a half arrived at Kate's and my apartment. We had food ready, we had notes ready, and Nancy was prepared to answer questions for us. Amy, Maggie, Chaz, Ben, Kelly, Steven, Nancy, Liz, and Katie, as well as Kate and I, hashed out details and needs to be met. It was so wonderful to sit in this room with people who are on the same mission as me - to do whatever we can to get to Rwanda this summer with whatever help we can provide. We are excited. We are good-anxious. We are getting prepared.
48 Days Left. [1 week + 1 day + amount of time it rained while Noah was on the Ark]
3 years ago
1 comment:
kimberly....i'd just like to say that you and steven have done a WONDERFUL job of putting everything together. we couldn't have done this without the both of you! i am so thankful for you and for all that you've done. it does stink to not get to meet that often, but last year i knew only kelly and luke before going, i never had any meetings with people, and our team didn't met each other until a few days before the trip in san fran. things are coming together wonderfully...
Post a Comment