Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I miss my babies

She has the most beautiful face I've ever seen. It's nine years old, round and happy. Every time, every single time I see her, she is smiling. Long, straight, shining black hair. She has that perfect tan without even trying, and dimples that you can loose a finger in. She will be a gorgeous woman someday. She will have kids in a less than ten years, I'm sure, because that's just how it is. I hope she marries my pretend little brother, Luin.

Rosa, Rosa, my little Peruvian darling. My doll face who I have seen once a year the past three years. She always remembered who I was, even when she hadn't seen me for over a year. KAM! KAM! some would yell, or KEEM! KEEM! but Rosa always took a moment to pause and remember: Kim. KIM!

"Rosa!" I called to her from the boat, pulled along the shore of a village I'd never been to. I didn't know that this village had a path straight to Recreo, so I was surprised to see her. But there she was. Anticipatory and eager to see what these new, white strangers had brought to the village, she lingered with the rest, waiting for some action. At the sound of her name, she glanced my way. "ROSA! Me recuerdas?"

She nods. The dimples are like the plunk of a tiny rock in the smooth river, before the ripples begin. Her eyes shimmer. "Kim."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where was i when you wrote this?

Hello, my name is k8rz said...

beautiful, keem, just beautiful.