When Megan Dirks had mono our sophomore year, I never saw her. English class after lunch until about 7th period she would show up, tired and frazzled, her embarassed smile and drowzy eyes. My senior year my ex got mono (good thing we were broken up!) and he took his first sick day I ever knew him to take. Intense! Mono! Watch out! It'll KNOCK. YOU. OUT!
So surprise! surprise! The day after VEISHEA I wake up, and my glands behind my ears are SWOLEN! And they HURT REALLY BADLY! And even though I had planned to get up, go to church, then start studying for my finals... I just slept. Shower? NO! I WANT TO SLEEP! EAT? NAW... sleep please! Clean my messes? Do laundry? Pack for the move in two weeks? OR HOW ABOUT I SLEEP? OK!
Five days later, when things are worse, not better, the Student Health Center says I have mono. Mono! "AWESOME!" I reply to the doctor. "STELLAR! JUST WHAT I NEED FOR FINALS! MONO!" [Surprisingly enough, I talk in caps more when I'm sick with a mono than I do normally.]
Unfortunately, I think this has done a number on my social life. I have been quiet and a bit cranky. Tired and mopey. Slow and unproductive. I have broken almost every plan I've made. I've depended on lots of folks and haven't been able to repay them in kind. I've expected sympathy and snarled over anything less. Pobreme? Maybe not so much?
I'm sorry, people! I really am! One side of me is not interested in apologizing - HEY! I have MONO! I can't help that I am tired and haven't been able to be there and do things and such. And on the other hand... I feel badly. Even if I'm sick and tired, I can be thankful. I could have been more thankful and patient, even maybe helpful? (Actually, that's a lie, I couldn't have been much more helpful). But the problem is, I'm still pretty tired, sleeping more often than not. So, my friends who I haven't called back because I'm too tired, please take this apology and hold onto it for a while. I won't be out. I won't be about. But I'm very interested if anyone wants to watch movies (as long as you don't mind if i fall asleep). But I'll recover soon, and I do miss my friends. Here is a lame, internet apology. What can I say? I have mono.
3 years ago
1 comment:
you totally do have mono. me too. we sleep too much.
Post a Comment