Thursday, February 08, 2007

Harsh

If her life hadn't been such a joke maybe I could take her death more seriously. I wish I could. A co-worker scolded me for not being more respectful. This is what I told him - I really do wish I could be less harsh. I know it is considered wrong to make fun of the dead. But how do you show someone respect in their death when you never respected them in their life? And besides, how long is the waiting period anyway? People joke about dead famous people all the time, even beloved, well-regarded ones. A woman died today - a woman I never knew personally, but a woman who everyone reagarded as a flake, a skank, and a joke. I feel badly for her family, and I am sorry for the pain of the ones she left behind, but I do not feel bad for her, and I unfortunately do not feel badly that I don't feel worse. Am I being too harsh, or do am I valid in my reaction? Someone tell me what they think.


apologies - there really is a lack of quality, wholesome pictures of this woman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as soon as someone dies we all get very serious, very solemn. even if that person was ridiculous. even if we didn't know that person, some may feel to that to make jokes is harsh. though a lack of respect for one's self is not justification for our lack of respect.

but making jokes doesn't negate respect. making jokes isn't intrinsically disprespectful.

so no, you weren't and aren't too harsh. i think we should ask why we get serious, why we get solemn.

sorry my comment was all serious and solemn. but after all, anna nicole has just died.