Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Not so Dire


I was reading an article on CNN.com yesterday about people who can not allow themselves to move on. Well, actually, the article was about these sisters who, on a weekly basis, drive past the house they lived in as children. And whenever the current owners change the appearance, they have an opinion. Like the new red door? The sisters gave it a thumbs up. When the old white picket fence got taken down. The sisters were none-too-happy. I think the actual quote in response to the dying oak tree being chopped down was: "It pained me."

This article started me thinking. These women truly, honestly, painfully believe that they have a right to complain. Even though they moved out of that house years ago. Even though they are both married now. They have their own homes, their own families, their own lives. Every week they drive slowly past their old house and raise their eyebrows. I guess, deep down, it bothers me when people have a really good life, but they complain about something that is rather trivial. Of course, I've done it, but probably my complaints will piss off one person, where another person might get me. For example, I have a friend who complains all the time about living at home. She is so sick of her parents' rules, sick of being in her home town, sick of this, sick of that. I just want to shake her and say, "You have a home you can go to! You have a room to call your own! Both of your parents are alive and allowing you to live for free, even though you haven't lived there in years! They even occasionally put gas in your car or change your oil! You don't even pay for your groceries!"

Don't get me wrong, I know what it feels like to complain about something: it feels good. It's a stress releaser. I've done it too. I complain about grades or being tired, but I get good grades and I get lots of rest. Other people aren't so fortunate in those areas.

See, when things seem sucky to us, I think we need to remind ourselves that God is usually providing for us more than we are acknowledging. Because chances are, the thing you are complaining about is miniscule in comparison to the fact that you have money to pay rent - because lots of people don't. Maybe complaining bout your parents makes you feel better, but some people don't have parents. Maybe complaining about your job seems justified, but lots of people would cut off their right arm for a job that pays over the minimum wage.

I don't know exactly why I felt compelled to write this. I just feel so trapped by American Consumerism - it's so weighing and makes people bitter. In Nigeria, most people live on less than $2 a day, and yet Nigerians are considered some of the happiest people in the world. Why is that? Why are we complaining about school loans when so many never get to finish elementary school? I think we need a perspective change. I think we need to stop driving past our old houses, and instead drive to a Goodwill and drop off some of the baggage we've been carrying around for too long. Just a couple thoughts on a Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/homestyle/02/05/your.old.home.ap/index.html

No comments: