Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My thoughts on Hillary and Barack



Steven and I like to watch Democratic debates between Obama and Clinton. Recently I realized that I wasn't sure who to vote for (Oh Richardson, how I miss you), so I spent some serious time researching Clinton, McCain, and Obama. Here are the two conclusions I came to.
1) McCain, who I was secretly rooting for, will not have my vote. I appreciate what he did for our country. To me, I'd say he's a sort of military hero, and I find my mind wander to the fact that he is unable to lift his arms above his head due to injuries incurred in the prisoner of war camp. But I couldn't disagree with him more on the issues. I do, however, like the nautical star he uses on his website. I think that is a smart design move.
2) I finally saw Hillary as a woman, a person, a human. I would encourage anyone who has that immediate I-can't-stand-her reaction to the name "Hillary Clinton" that so many have(including myself until recently) to check out her biography on wikipedia.org. And I will say it again - it IS a website that can be trusted; if you find something strange, it'll be gone within 12 hours, mark my words. I'm not saying that her platform has won me over, but I do feel like I need to stand up for her, as a woman.

When she stands on a stage and broadcasts her voice, she sounds like a smoker... but can I just remind everyone that many woman don't come off sounding great when we stand before a crowd and project our voice? No. Women, in general, do not have the same presence that a man does. We do not captivate a room in the same way. Listen, I'm not saying that in a bad way - we captivate a room differently. Our voices are beautiful, but generally when we speak in softer tones. Mrs. Clinton is going where no woman has gone, and I commend her for it. I am sick of people nitpicking at things like the gravely tone her voice takes when she is talking (although it is humorous), or how angry she sounds when she is attacked in a debate.

In fact, I would like to turn the tables for a moment. Obama is a master presenter. He speaks with outstanding eloquence, his presence fills a room, his charisma even brought me to my feet on campus the day I was feet from where he spoke to ISU students (and I barely knew who he was). I challenge you to critically watch the way he reacts to Clinton when they toe an issue they disagree on. She gets louder, he gets pretentious. He cuts in every few seconds: "With all due respect..." pinches his face, as if he can't believe she won't stop talking "With all due..." shakes his head slightly, purses his lips Most people think, "She is SO emotional. She isn't even listening." But I bet you a thousand dollars that, if we could climb into his brain, you'd see that he does it on purpose. It is completely premeditated. I'm not saying it's wrong - that's politics, and he does it well. But when he steps out and lipsynchs "change," over and over, it's rather stale. He acts like he is a different type of politician. Nah - he's just a BETTER politician. He is a step quicker, a voice more controlled, a more steady heartbeat, and retort more passive. He does it well. But he does it at the expense of making Hillary look like a - gasp - irrational woman. In my opinion, it's cheap; but he does it so subtly. No one will see it before it's too late. Obama will conquer McCain much easier than she will - but it's a shame, as she's put in the years, climbed the ladder, made the choices that all previous politicians made to get to the point she's at. Except, she unfortunately is up against one of the most charismatic men to have joined the ranks, Senator Obama.

It's the mountain we women are climbing together - if a man takes a jab at someone in front of the boss, he is witty. If a woman does that, she's a bitch. We can do the same job, but he'll get paid more - STILL, in 21st Century USA! Sick. But how often do I hear men AND women joke about how ridiculous she is, her cackle, her smoker's voice, the way she dresses, etc.?

I don't know which would be better at the job... I could spend a long time comparing their platforms. It'll be interesting. I don't want to make it seem like I want people to vote for Hillary, because I don't know who I would vote for if I were a superdelegate - but I would appreciate if people would put aside this immature attitude that she's impossible. Women, I'm not asking you to vote for her beccause she's a woman - I'm asking for women and men alike to treat her the way you'd treat her if she was your sister, or mom, or girlfriend. Let's show some respect. Let's be critical adults. That's my opinion.

No comments: