Friday, January 05, 2007

Time is Money

Hello! Oh, wait, you mean I only have three days left of Winter Break??? Goodness oh golly! I, I.. Where did the time go?

Oh yeah, I spent most of it at work.

Exactly what I thought I wanted and not necessarily what I, in reality, expected. Retail is a seriously draining job! So many quick, short, sometimes intense interactions with (almost always) strangers from all over the country. But mostly just Ames. Anyway, all those snap-shot conversations zapped me of being able to function like a normally-social human being. Here is a little example of how I acted once I did finally get out of work on a given day:

Kate: Kim! How are you, how was work?
Kim: Mmmm? wooorrrmk...? Oh uh... yes I saw a girl who was Amy Frankl's sister-in-law named Amy Frankl.
Kate: ...
Kim: What are yooou uhmm where are you? No... HOW are you? [that's it!]
Kate: ...I'm good, I had such a good time at my family Christmas -
Kim: Sorry, Kate, I am really tired, can I talk to you tomorrow? I'm going to bed now.

Yep, I sucked at being social. Yes, I was usually too tired to really be normal for too long. So why did I agree to take just about any shift that was thrown at me? Well, money of course! Never before have I been able to sit comfortably, financially speaking, as a college student. Besides, I rationalized, if I have more money, Steven and I can maybe go out to eat a little more, or I can finally get my hair cut (which I'm doing in 20 minutes), or even, most importantly, I can start saving for the missions trip to Rwanda that is taking place this summer. I mean, seriously, the opportunities just GROW when you have money.

So was it worth it?

The verdict is out. I am not saying I made millions, but I did make money, and that is nice. But what good is money when I'm too tired to function in my spare time? And what spare time do we speak of? I did get to go home - for less than 24 hours. But that 24 hours was really fun! I saw Dez and Lauren, was able to spontaneously by snow boots, and got to go out to Olive Garden with them! I can afford my puppy, the sweetie-face that follows me around all over. Oh, and I even got to see three movies. But I only paid for one, and that was actually at the dollar theatre. Well, maybe that money will come into play next week, when I only work fifteen hours instead of forty-ish.

Oh shoot. Next week I have to go back to classes already. Maaaaaan...

No comments: