My darling middle-floor roommate pulled up in front of my work just as I was walking out. She wasn't expected, so when she rolled down the window and was obviously upset, I jumped in the car without hesitation.
Kenzie is kind and loving, totally compassionate, a tireless giver, a generous friend. When she has, she gives. When she needs, she asks. When she can, she will. She is endearing, hilarious, and almost sickeningly optimistic - which is a gift to me, as I often need someone to lift my spirits. She found me my dog, she helped me organize and clean, she is my in-house sounding board. She isn't afraid to let me know when she wants something or even when she is ticked about something. I enjoy her honesty, her openness, and the fact that she doesn't throw around egg shells for me to have to worry about stepping on. I love this girl, and I wouldn't trade her for any other roommate in this world*.
We pulled away from my workplace and she grabbed my hand. She was not just upset, she was VERY upset, and I was worried. She started to tell me what the problem was and I was instantly behind her, doing what I could to hold her up, to comfort her, and to explain that it was going to be ok. I was trying to convince myself too. But there was very little that I could promise her, to be honest, as this problem could only be resolved by someone else. Two someone elses.
Kristin was home, and we instantly freaked out as we tried to explain. This sent Bella into a fit, which was completely my fault (I transferred my high energy into her). We grabbed our resources and began to pour out to her the dilemma. I was shaking, Kenzie was gushing, and Kristin patiently let us vent. She was calm and collected. She was understanding. She was rational and kind and absolutely lovely. Actually, she is like this a lot. Kenzie and I have found that she is wonderful to talk to, because she has been through a lot of what we are going through. She can listen and give us sound advice. Her advice is exactly what we need to hear, because it is honest, fresh, and has a perspective we can rarely find by ourselves. Last night she digested our information, sorted and put together the jig-saw of the problem that was on the table, and put it together in a brilliant, blunt, and perfect way. But it wasn't complete.
Evan returned from his Annual Deer Hunting Trip. He walked in and announced he hadn't showered in a few days. "Me neither!" I exclaimed. "I've been hunting," he explained. "I have no excuse," I muttered. Evan is funny. He is Kristin's other half, and he needed to be informed of the problem. He had an insight that even Kristin couldn't come up with herself. He would be a bit more removed emotionally than the three of us would be, and thus probably more apt to come up with the most "legally" sound decision. He has always been really good at seeing things differently than anyone else. Actually, his thought process is one of the most unique I've ever encountered, and it is refreshing. I enjoy his congeniality, and knowing that he and Kristin would work together to come up with a solution put my heart at ease.
They left for a while to discuss, and came back to give us their evaluation. It was perfect. It was simple. It was one of those moments where I thought to myself, "I think way too much... I'm completely fine with the options that they have offered." Later on, after I had prepared for bed and was alone, I thought, "I love my roommates. I love the people I live with. They are perfect for me at this time in my life, and I am so thankful to God for them, each one, for each they have to offer."
I love you three.
*Unless I was married, in which case I would have a different roommate. But that is a different story.
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment